“God With Us”
The Emanuel Baptist Church was organized with thirteen members on July 19, 1959 through the First Friendship Institutional Baptist Church, Rev. E. L. Evans, Pastor. Rev. Welthan L. Hudson was installed as the first Pastor.
The first Emanuel Baptist Church worship services were held at 1029 Golden Gate Avenue. Worship services continued on Golden Gate Avenue for only one year, and there was need for a larger building . Rev. Hudson and Deacon Roosevelt McCoy located a building at 1155 McAllister Street. In early 1966, the membership began worshipping with the Mt. Trinity Baptist Church, at 1737 Sutter Street pastored by Rev. Henderson. In 1968 we moved to Twenty-third Street, and, eventually, we purchased that building and the one next door.
In 1976, Rev. Hudson was called to another pastorate, and the Rev. James E. Spencer of the Third Baptist Church was called to be our Pastor.
In 2005, the Lord called our Pastor from labor to everlasting reward. Although this was a profound loss to the entire church family, we were inspired to remember once more that God was truly “With Us” during these 49 years. He has never left us nor forsaken us. He opened another window, and poured us out the blessing of leadership. He gave us a Shepherd in the person of Rev. Wade Hampton. Pastor Hampton has been “with us” as a member, a minister, and a mentor for many years. After ten years of unprecedented service, Pastor Wade Hampton retired and the Lord continued to show that He is truly with us. Rev. Domonic Hampton was installed as Pastor and Teacher in May of 2019.
Many people have chosen Emanuel as the place to profess their acceptance of Christ as their Lord and Savior. Men have been called as deacons, ministers, and pastors Emanuel has been blessed with a wide range of ministries, including the Board of Deacons, Sunday Church School, Young People’s Department, Usher Board, Musical and Mission Department, and Pastor’s Aid. Members have continued to be inspired to personal evangelism in the community, school, workplace, convalescent hospital, and prisons. We have observed those who have grown closer and more committed to God because of the training received and the fellowship shared.
For the past fourteen years, the grace of God has continued to be with us, and although we have been without a church building to call our own, the Pearlgate Tabernacle Baptist Church family has opened their arms–and their hearts–to us, and provided a wonderful place to worship and to hold services through a combined fellowship.
Associate Ministers who have supported the ministry of the Emanuel Baptist Church include: Rev. H. Hudson, Rev. L. Smith, Rev. H. Daggs, Rev. H. Dean, Rev. W. Hampton, Rev. D. Larry, Rev. L. Walker, Rev. S.A. Bailey, Rev. L. Gaines, Rev. E. Rawlins, Rev. Julian Spencer, Rev. Ryan Anderson, Rev. Domonic Hampton, and most recently Evangelist Bob Wade and Rev. Dante Polk.